Whatever the time of year or day of the week, these double vanilla(ry) biscuits can always be relied on to accompany a nice cup of Earl Grey and five minutes of thinking time.
Yield: 30 individual biscuits (15 pairs)
Preparation time: 20 minutes plus resting time
Cooking time: 10 minutes plus cooling time
- 115g caster sugar
- 65g polyunsaturated margarine
- 1 small egg, lightly beaten
- 1 tbsp golden syrup
- 1 tbsp lemon juice
- 1.5 tsp LittlePod vanilla paste
- 175g plain flour
- 0.5 tsp bicarbonate of soda
- 0.5 tsp baking powder
- 1 tsp mixed spice
- 50g icing sugar
- 1 tsp LittlePod vanilla extract
- 1 tsp (ish) hot water
- Mix the sugar and margarine in a large bowl with an electric whisk until it is smooth.
- Add the egg, golden syrup, lemon juice and vanilla paste and whisk some more.
- In another bowl, sift the flour, bicarbonate of soda, baking powder and mixed spice and mix.
- Add the dry mixture to the first bowl a little at a time, beating thoroughly. You’re aiming for a stiff dough, so if your mixing isn’t making any difference, sift some more flour in a little at a time.
- Divide this dough into two balls and wrap each ball in cling film. Leave in the fridge for 30 minutes.
- Preheat your oven to 180C/350F/Gas mark 4.
- Lightly spray 2 baking trays with cooking spray.
- Lightly flour your worktop and knead the two balls of dough together again. Then roll it evenly, so it’s about 0.5cm thick all over.
- Use your cute biscuit cutter and transfer them over to the trays, leaving a gap of at least 2cm between each shape.
- Re-roll and repeat to use as much of the dough as possible.
- Put in the oven for about 8 minutes, check and turn after 5min. You want them to be an even golden brown. Transfer to a cooling rack.
- When the biscuits are completely cooled, mix the LittlePod vanilla extract and icing sugar to make a delicious vanilla icing.
- Use an icing bag, pipe some of the icing on the back of one biscuit and cover with another biscuit (back-to-back line a sandwich).
- Place the biscuits in an airtight container for up to 4 days, if they last that long!
These biscuits go particularly well with a nice cup of Earl Grey. Might we suggest this one from Witney & Mason.